Danville’s Tyler Cahoon dove inside Barre’s Boomer Morris with nine laps remaining and went on to his first Thunder Road Late Model feature win of the season at U.S. Army Recruiting Night on Thursday, August 17. It was the third straight podium finish for the veteran driver as he continued his resurgence after a tough first half of the year.
Cahoon started fifth and first got to the inside of Morris on lap 27, but the pass was nullified by a backstretch crash involving Eric Chase and Ricky Roberts. Cahoon fell into a battle with Barre’s Cody Blake on the ensuing restart as early leader Morris inched away.
The field was brought back together by a lap-38 caution when Kyle Pembroke and Christopher Pelkey went off turn one as the pack tried to navigate lapped traffic. Sitting third on the restart, Cahoon drove up the inside and muscled underneath Morris coming off turn two on lap 41. Morris ended up going hard into the frontstretch wall with four laps to go, but Cahoon held off Blake on the final restart for the victory.
Blake earned his third straight podium finish as well by edging out South Burlington’s Trampas Demers for second. Point leader Bobby Therrien of Hinesburg took fourth and will unofficially extend his lead after copping his fifth Maplewood Semi-Feature win of the season earlier in the evening. Scott Dragon, Darrell Morin, Brooks Clark, Governor Phil Scott, Jason Corliss, and Mike Bailey rounded out the top-10.
Rookie Jamon Perry of Hardwick scored his second win of the year in the 40-lap Lenny’s Shoe & Apparel Flying Tiger feature. Perry came quickly through the field from his ninth starting position to grab the lead from fellow rookie Jason Pelkey of Barre on lap 13. He then held off Pelkey through a serious of four cautions, including the final one on lap 28 when Dwayne Lanphear and Mike Billado got together fighting for the third spot, to cruise to the victory.
Craftsbury Common’s Mike Martin moved up to second on the final restart. Wolcott’s Brendan Moodie outdueled Pelkey in the final laps for third while Grand Isle’s Joe Steffen completed the top-five. Point leader Jason Woodard recovered from a mid-race spin with a flat tire to finish sixth and unofficially maintain an 11-point edge over Moodie with three events remaining. Trevor Lyman, Matthew Potter, Brian Delphia, and Lanphear completed the top-10.
Wolcott’s Jamie Davis captured his first win of the season in the Allen Lumber Street Stocks. Coming off a blown engine in the previous week's event, Davis got to the inside of polesitter Tom Campbell on lap 18 of the 25-lap event. Campbell then lost control in turn four, sweeping up point leader Cooper Bouchard and Michael Gay in the process. Davis held off rookie Stephen Martin of Craftsbury Common on the fourth and final restart for the victory.
Number-two point driver Brandon Lanphear of Morrisville completed the podium and stands to make a big gain in the standings after Bouchard ended up 12th. Kelsea Woodard, Alan Maynard, Dean Switser Jr., Gary Mullen, Kasey Collins, Matthew Smith, and Logan Powers also earned top-10 finishes.
The final Thursday night event of the season at Thunder Road is coming up next Thursday, August 24 with Jet Service Envelope/Accura Printing Night. A full card of action is scheduled for the Thunder Road Late Models, Lenny’s Shoe & Apparel Flying Tigers, Allen Lumber Street Stocks and Burnett Scrap Metals Road Warriors with a 7:00pm post time. The event will also feature the annual “Run-What-U-Brung” spectator races for street-legal vehicles that are registered, inspected, and insured. Admission is just $12 for adults, $3 for kids ages 6-12, and $25 for a family of four (2 adults, 2 kids).
U.S. ARMY RECRUITING NIGHT
THUNDER ROAD LATE MODELS
Pos., Driver, Car #, Hometown
1. Tyler Cahoon ( 38VT ) Danville, VT
2. Cody Blake ( 99VT ) Barre, VT
3. Trampas Demers ( 85VT ) S. Burlington, VT
4. Bobby Therrien ( 5VT ) Hinesburg, VT
5. Scott Dragon ( 16VT ) Milton, VT
6. Darrell Morin ( 17VT ) Westford, VT
7. Brooks Clark ( 68VT ) Fayston, VT
8. Phil Scott ( 14VT ) Berlin, VT
9. Jason Corliss ( 66VT ) Barre, VT
10. Mike Bailey ( 00VT ) S. Barre, VT
11. Marcel J. Gravel ( 86VT ) Wolcott, VT
12. Matthew Smith ( 04VT ) Essex Jct., VT
13. Chris Lacey ( 22VT ) Burlington, VT
14. Boomer Morris ( 13VT ) Barre, VT
15. Scott Coburn ( 72VT ) Barre, VT
16. Christopher Pelkey ( 64VT ) Graniteville, VT
17. Kyle Pembroke ( 27VT ) Montpelier, VT
18. Mike Foster ( 7VT ) Williston, VT
19. Matt White ( 42VT ) Northfield, VT
20. Eric Chase ( 40VT ) Milton, VT
21. Ricky Roberts ( 3VT ) Washington, VT
22. David Whitcomb ( 25VT ) Essex Jct., VT
LENNY’S SHOE & APPAREL FLYING TIGERS
Pos., Driver, Car #, Hometown
1. Jamon Perry ( 62 ) Hardwick, VT
2. Mike Martin ( 01 ) Craftsbury Common, VT
3. Brendan Moodie ( 94 ) Wolcott, VT
4. #Jason Pelkey ( 64 ) Barre, VT
5. Joe Steffen ( 00 ) Grand Isle, VT
6. Jason Woodard ( 68 ) Waterbury Ctr., VT
7. Trevor Lyman ( 17 ) Hinesburg, VT
8. Matthew Potter ( 7 ) Marshfield, VT
9. Brian Delphia ( 25 ) Duxbury, VT
10. Dwayne Lanphear ( 11 ) Morrisville, VT
11. Michael Potter ( 23 ) Plainfield, VT
12. Mike Billado ( 8 ) Essex, VT
13. Kevin Dodge ( 88 ) Barre, VT
14. Brandon Lanphear ( 91 ) Morrisville, VT
15. Sid Sweet Jr. ( 51 ) Williamstown, VT
16. Robert Gordon ( 20 ) Milton, VT
17. #Burt Spooner III ( 4 ) E. Montpelier, VT
18. #Jaden Perry ( 92 ) Hardwick, VT
ALLEN LUMBER STREET STOCKS
Pos., Driver, Car #, Hometown
1. Jamie Davis ( 43 ) Wolcott, VT
2. #Stephen Martin ( 01 ) Craftsbury Common, VT
3. Brandon Lanphear ( 11 ) Morrisville, VT
4. Kelsea Woodard ( 55 ) Waterbury Ctr., VT
5. Alan Maynard ( 10 ) Fairfax, VT
6. Dean Switser, Jr. ( 45 ) Lyndonville, VT
7. Gary Mullen ( 29 ) Tunbridge, VT
8. #Kasey Collins ( 98 ) Barre, VT
9. Matthew Smith ( 04 ) Essex Jct., VT
10. #Logan Powers ( 31 ) Middlesex, VT
11. Kevin Streeter ( 67 ) Waitsfield, VT
12. Cooper Bouchard ( 7 ) Hinesburg, VT
13. Michael Gay ( 3 ) So. Burlington, VT
14. #Jeff Murray ( 35 ) Georgia, VT
15. Justin Blakely ( 17 ) Graniteville, VT
16. Tom Campbell ( 85 ) Middlesex, VT
17. Tom Smith ( 50 ) Williamstown, VT
18. Scott Weston ( 40 ) Berlin, VT