Morris Takes Second Late Model Win of Season; Woodard, Davis Claim Flying Tiger and Street Stock Championships
Hinesburg’s Bobby Therrien became the first driver in Thunder Road’s modern era to win championships in three different divisions as he was crowned the 2017 “King of the Road” at Community College of Vermont Championship Night on Sunday, September 10. The new Thunder Road Late Model Champion previously won titles in the Lenny’s Shoe & Apparel Flying Tigers in 2012 and the Allen Lumber Street Stocks in 2007.
Therrien entered the main event with a 28-point advantage over South Burlington’s Trampas Demers and started 15th on the grid for the 65-lap Late Model feature. As Barre’s Boomer Morris ran away at the front, Therrien steadily worked his way through the field and had found his way up to fifth when the race’s second and final caution came out on lap 36 for Kyle Pembroke’s stalled automobile.
After battling side-by-side with Barre’s Christopher Pelkey for nearly 20 circuits following the restart, Therrien was able to secure the third spot in the final rundown. The result was more than enough to take the championship after Demers could do no better than seventh.
Morris held off a charge from Pelkey on the final restart and ran away in the closing laps, capping an up-and-down season with his second win of the year and fifth of his career. Milton’s Eric Chase took second followed by Therrien. Scott Dragon, Pelkey, Jason Corliss, Demers, Marcel J. Gravel, Tyler Cahoon, and Ricky Roberts completed the top-10.
Morrisville’s Dwayne Lanphear earned his first win of the season in the Lenny’s Shoe & Apparel Flying Tigers while Waterbury Center’s Jason Woodard captured his second division championship. Lanphear flew through the field from his ninth starting position to go around the outside of Milton’s Robert Gordon for the lead on lap 15 of the 50-lap feature. He then fended off a challenge from Woodard on the race’s third and final restart on lap 26 and pulled away in the closing circuits for the victory.
Woodard, who was also the 2014 Tiger Champion, finished second to unofficially claim the championship by 26 points over Wolcott’s Brendan Moodie, who took third in the main event. Jamon Perry, Jaden Perry, Trevor Lyman, Gordon, Mike Martin, Joe Steffen, and Mike Billado finished fourth through 10th. Jaden Perry took the Flying Tiger Rookie of the Year title. All Late Model and Flying Tiger results are unofficial pending further technical inspection.
In the Allen Lumber Street Stocks, Wolcott’s Jamie Davis definitively claimed his second division championship with a victory in the 35-lap feature. Davis, who entered the main event with a narrow lead in a four-way championship battle, started 12th and was able to dodge a mid-race frontstretch melee that swept up challengers Cooper Bouchard and Alan Maynard.
He had worked his way up to third with six laps to go when Tom Campbell and Tommy Smith got together fighting for the top spot to bring out the third and final caution. Davis inherited the lead for the restart and cruised to his second win of the season, unofficially taking the title by 17 points over Bouchard, who could only work his way back up to sixth in the final rundown.
Rookie Logan Powers of Middlesex finished second while Waterbury Center’s Kelsea Woodard completed the podium. Kevin Streeter, Gary Mullen, Bouchard, Stephen Martin, Reg Theroux, Campbell, and Smith rounded out the top-10. Martin unofficially claimed the Street Stock Rookie of the Year Award by one point over Powers.
Thunder Road will close out the 2017 schedule with the 55th Vermont Milk Bowl presented by Northfield Savings Bank on Saturday, September 30 and Sunday, October 1. Booth Bros./H.P. Hood Qualifying Day on Saturday will feature Thunder Road Late Model Time Trials and “Triple 50” qualifying races to help set the starting field with the three-segment Milk Bowl on Sunday. The Lenny’s Shoe & Apparel Flying Tigers, Allen Lumber Street Stocks, and New England Dwarf Cars will hold two-segment “Mini Milk Bowls” while the Burnett Scrap Metals Road Warriors will have a Saturday-only event.
Adult admission for the 55th Vermont Milk Bowl is just $30 for a two-day ticket or $10 for Saturday-only while children 12 and under will be admitted for free. Post time is 1:00pm for both days.
COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF VERMONT CHAMPIONSHIP NIGHT
THUNDER ROAD LATE MODELS
Pos., Driver, Car #, Hometown
1. Boomer Morris ( 13VT ) Barre, VT
2. Eric Chase ( 40VT ) Milton, VT
3. Bobby Therrien ( 5VT ) Hinesburg, VT
4. Scott Dragon ( 16VT ) Milton, VT
5. Christopher Pelkey ( 64VT ) Graniteville, VT
6. Jason Corliss ( 66VT ) Barre, VT
7. Trampas Demers ( 85VT ) S. Burlington, VT
8. Marcel J. Gravel ( 86VT ) Wolcott, VT
9. Tyler Cahoon ( 38VT ) Danville, VT
10. Ricky Roberts ( 3VT ) Washington, VT
11. Mike Bailey ( 00VT ) S. Barre, VT
12. Matthew Smith ( 04VT ) Essex Jct., VT
13. Mike Foster ( 7VT ) Williston, VT
14. Darrell Morin ( 17VT ) Westford, VT
15. Keith Chapman ( 22CT ) Mystic, CT
16. David Whitcomb ( 25VT ) Essex Jct., VT
17. Kyle Pembroke ( 27VT ) Montpelier, VT
18. Cody Blake ( 99VT ) Barre, VT
19. Tyler Chapman ( 81CT ) Waterford, CT
20. Scott Coburn ( 72VT ) Barre, VT
21. Mark Norris ( 22ME ) Benson, VT
LENNY’S SHOE & APPAREL FLYING TIGERS
Pos., Driver, Car #, Hometown
1. Dwayne Lanphear ( 11 ) Morrisville, VT
2. Jason Woodard ( 68 ) Waterbury Ctr., VT
3. Brendan Moodie ( 94 ) Wolcott, VT
4. #Jamon Perry ( 62 ) Hardwick, VT
5. #Jaden Perry ( 92 ) Hardwick, VT
6. Trevor Lyman ( 17 ) Hinesburg, VT
7. Robert Gordon ( 20 ) Milton, VT
8. Mike Martin ( 01 ) Craftsbury Common, VT
9. Joe Steffen ( 00 ) Grand Isle, VT
10. Mike Billado ( 8 ) Essex, VT
11. #Tyler Austin ( 5 ) East Calais, VT
12. Mark Barnier ( 0 ) Essex Jct., VT
13. Brandon Lanphear ( 91 ) Morrisville, VT
14. #Kyle Streeter ( 37 ) Waitsfield, VT
15. Cameron Ouellette ( 90 ) Barre, VT
16. Colin Cornell ( 54 ) Lyndonville, VT
17. #Burt Spooner III ( 4 ) E. Montpelier, VT
18. Josh Payea ( 52 ) Georgia, VT
19. Adam Maynard ( 57 ) Milton, VT
20. Sid Sweet Jr. ( 51 ) Williamstown, VT
21. #Jason Pelkey ( 64 ) Barre, VT
22. Kevin Dodge ( 88 ) Barre, VT
ALLEN LUMBER STREET STOCKS
Pos., Driver, Car #, Hometown
1. Jamie Davis ( 43 ) Wolcott, VT
2. #Logan Powers ( 31 ) Middlesex, VT
3. Kelsea Woodard ( 55 ) Waterbury Ctr., VT
4. Kevin Streeter ( 67 ) Waitsfield, VT
5. Gary Mullen ( 29 ) Tunbridge, VT
6. Cooper Bouchard ( 7 ) Hinesburg, VT
7. #Stephen Martin ( 01 ) Craftsbury Common, VT
8. Reg Theroux ( 11 ) Derby, VT
9. Tom Campbell ( 85 ) Middlesex, VT
10. Tom Smith ( 50 ) Williamstown, VT
11. Bryan P. Wall ( 77 ) E. Kingston, NH
12. Michael Gay ( 3 ) So. Burlington, VT
13. Peyton Lanphear ( 22 ) Duxbury, VT
14. Justin Blakely ( 17 ) Graniteville, VT
15. Garry Bashaw ( 4 ) Lincoln, VT
16. Alan Maynard ( 10 ) Fairfax, VT
17. Matthew Smith ( 04 ) Essex Jct., VT
18. Scott Weston ( 40 ) Berlin, VT
19. Dean Switser, Jr. ( 45 ) Lyndonville, VT
20. #Kasey Collins ( 98 ) Barre, VT